Monday, January 16, 2006

The doctor's wife

This is Sherry writing. I just had to share a funny thought. Here I am, on a three-day weekend, doing chores as I watch The Bachelor. My (and Brian's) usual choice would be CSI Miami, but it's a repeat tonight. Brian's been working nights (6 p.m. to ~ 10 a.m. every day of the week) and will be for the next five weeks, so-- we, um, don't see each other much these days. Anyway, imagine the laugh I had when, sitting home alone watching these women "compete" for a guy who happens to be a doctor . . . the booming male voice-over proclaims with bubbling enthusiasm and a vague hint of a fake British accent, "and now . . . . these twelve women still have the opportunity to become . . . a doctor's wife!"
. . . Oh my word, how terribly exciting, we're supposed to think, these women might win the lottery of love! A doctor! Now, don't get me wrong, I definitely won that lottery and I happen to be married to a doctor who is adorably passionate about his job, but I sure hope (for their sake and his) that these women are competing because they love the sparkling personality of this man they just met, and not because they think his job is so glamorous.

While I'm on the subject, I noticed that a large number of these women actually have interesting professional careers of their own (kindergarten teacher, doctor, and so on), so I'm not sure that their dreams in life center around people referring to them as the "doctor's wife" anyway, despite the curious exuberance of Mr. Male Voice-Over. (But, hey, that's pure speculation . . . because one of the ladies just gushed, as I was typing this, "Ohmigawd, my mom would be So. Excited. I mean, any mom would be excited if their daughter brought home a doctor." Huh. Somehow, I can't see a Bachelorette contestant bragging about bringing home a lawyer to his mommy. But again, pure speculation on my part.)

Anyway, I miss my Dr. Haus. He is working pretty lonely hours right now, so if anyone feels inclined to email him, I'm sure it would make him feel loved.

No comments: