Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Liz's Shower and Bachelorette Party

This past weekend, I (Sherry) flew to Northern California for Liz's bridal shower in Sacramento and bachelorette party in San Francisco. Liz is my longest time good friend; we met at age 11 in the sixth grade. Liz was the nice girl who always lent me a pen or pencil if I forgot one (she was very organized with her school supplies) and we became fast friends, and have been ever since. Liz is a successful attorney in Los Angeles, and lives in nearby Venice. Next month, she will marry Phil, whom she met at UCLA School of Law, and whom all of her friends adore. A link to their wedding website is on the right, under Links.

I flew into Sacramento on Thursday on Delta, and was lucky enough to be flying on the day they were relisted on the New York Stock Exchange. So, on both flights, everyone received a champagne toast, which made for a lovely, celebratory flight experience. Mom picked me up at the airport, and I was so happy to see her. I spent Thursday night, Friday and Friday night with Mom, just running around doing stuff, and going to see the Luke Wilson/Kate Beckinsdale film, Vacancy. We thought Wilson and Beckinsdale were good, but did not love the movie. That night, we had dinner at PF Changs in Roseville with my sister-in-law Kristen and my two adorable nephews, Lucas and Tanner. Lucas just had tubes put in his ears last week, but he is doing fine! Both of the boys are cute as ever.

Liz's Shower: Liz's bridal shower was held on Saturday at our friend Julie's house in Sacrameto. A lot of wonderful women came, from Liz's high school years, college days, ad time living in DC. Liz received some very nice presents and a a good time was had by all. It was fantastic to see fellow high school classmates Liz, Julie, Maya, Mariah and Kathy all together. I don't think I've seen Mariah or Kathy since high school graduation, so that was a treat in itself. They are both living in New York City, where Kathy is starting her own publicity/communications firm, and Mariah is an artist. (It's so heartening to see how well our quality public school education has served my successful fellow alumni. As we've mentioned before on this blog, Maya is a doctor in San Francisco, and Julie is a teacher in Sacramento.) I also enjoyed seeing Liz's family again after quite a long time, and several mothers of the ladies in the high school crew who I had not seen for some time.

Liz's Bachelorette: Liz's bachelorette weekend began right after the shower, when most of the ladies took off for San Francisco.

We checked into the Adagio Hotel, where we had booked several rooms. Our friend Christa, who works for Skyy Vodka and is quite the party planner, decorated the rooms and had goodie bags for all the ladies. We went to dinner at Colibri Mexican Bistro, which was perfect since it was, in fact, Cinco de Mayo! We then returned to the hotel and relaxed a bit before going out dancing. We spent most of the night at Pink, where Christa had arranged a VIP table for us. We all had fun, and stayed out until early the next morning. The bride, and all the ladies really, had a fabulous time!

On Sunday, the next day, I was to fly back, but was unable to do so due to storms in Kansas City, where I was to fly through. So I ended up hanging out with Liz, Maya, Julie and Liz's brother Thomas at the Polish Festival in Golden Gate Park, enjoying the beautiful San Francisco weather (highs in the 80's and 90's right now). Later, Maya and I went to a cafe, where we sat outside soaking in the sun while getting some work done. Later, we had great Thai food in Maya's SF neighborhood for dinner.

On Monday, I flew back from San Francisco. I have to say I loved flying on Midwest Airlines on the way back. The huge leather seats, homemade chocolate chip cookies (baked on board) and ridiculously friendly crew (the captain came out and briefed us himself with details about all the sites we'd be flying over, and chatted with us), all made for a great experience. I only hope that customer service spills over to their baggage handling/finding, as one of my bags did not make it back with me! Seriously, why does this always happen to me and Brian? Ugh. Overall, it was a fantastic weekend, though! For all the photos from Liz's Shower and Bachelorette, click here.

No comments: